Dental fillings are used in the repair of teeth that have cracked or started decaying. In those that have started decaying the doctor will have to remove the decayed portion then add a filling to the left hole. For the types of teeth that have been misused i.e. by tearing of hard objects like metals dental fillings are used in their repair.
What are the steps that are involved in dental filling?
By the help of a local anesthetic the dentist will numb around the affected teeth and then drill the area to be filled using an abrasion object .A laser can also be used in such a case also to remove the decayed portion of teeth. However the dentist will have to decide the best type of tool to use when drilling because there are a number of such tools.
After doing this the dentist will test to know whether all the affected area has been removed totally and then prepare the space to be filled by totally cleaning that area to remove any remaining debris and bacteria.
If the decay is so close to the root of the tooth the dentist will find the best way to protect the nerve endings of the tooth i.e. by putting a liner made of composite resin. After filling the teeth the dentist will then polish the teeth. Visit your local dental practice in Nampa to find out if this is right for you.
What are some of the filling materials available?
- These days there are plenty of filling materials available the list ranging from gold, silver, tin etcetera. The type of filling also depends on other factors i.e. the extent of decay and the cost of filling the teeth.
What are the benefits of gold fillings?
- They are more durable such that they are estimated to last between 10-15 years and even longer than that. They do not corrode easily also.
- They are very strong meaning that they can withstand very strong forces of chewing.
- They have an aesthetic quality that is most patients find them more appealing than any other type of filling available.
- They are very expensive compared to the other types of fillings. Their cost is estimated to be ten times expensive than silver fillings.
- They require extra checkups and visits to the dentist and this can make some people feel not comfortable with this type of filling.
- There are other people who do not like the colored appearance of gold fillings.
What are the benefits of silver fillings?
Silver fillings can be durable also their durability ranging from between 10 to 15 years. They are also strong and can withstand strong forces. Finally they are a
bit expensive compared to composite fillings.
What are the drawbacks of gold?
They do not match the color of teeth and with that reason they have a poor anesthetic. They need a more space i.e. a healthy part of the tooth has to be removed. Finally they can cause a discoloration the adjacent healthy teeth.